Dental Sealants to Prevent Cavities
Dental sealants are made from biocompatible resin, and help prevent the tooth enamel erosion that causes tooth decay and cavities.
Sealants are highly effective at protecting the chewing surfaces of back teeth, particularly for children. The surfaces are etched to make it easier for the sealant material to bond to the tooth structure. Because the chewing surfaces of molars possess grooves that make it easier for oral bacteria to hide in, sealants provide an additional layer of protection against decay-causing bacteria.
Dental Sealant Facts:
- Dental sealants are applied simply by cleaning the tooth surface and then etching it in order to bond the sealant material.
- Sealants are a thin white material, and are only visible up close.
- Sealants are most effective if they are applied soon after the teeth have erupted (between ages 6 and 12).
- Sealants can last as long as 3 to 10+ years with proper care and maintenance.
- Even after most of the sealant has worn away, remnants will remain in the deepest part of the groove to provide an extended period of decay prevention.
- While they aren’t an absolute guarantee, dental sealants are very effective at preventing tooth decay.
See if You Can Benefit from Dental Sealants
Preventing cavities is an ongoing process, and dental sealants can help make it a consistently successful one. To learn more about the benefits of dental sealants, call Allen Family Dental today at (469) 342-6644. Located in Allen, TX, we also serve patients who live nearby in Frisco, Plano, McKinney, Fairview, and all surrounding communities.